Virtual Planning Commission Meeting Tonight At 6 PM
Written By Janet Thome
Tonight the Humboldt County Planning Commission has a virtual planning commission meeting at 6 pm. Movable tiny homes as ADUs are included in the agenda and the meeting is open to the public.
Dan Fitzpatrick, President of THIA has been working with the planners for an ordinance that will allow movable tiny homes as ADUs in Humboldt County, California.
Project Description: Secondary Dwelling Units are now considered Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs). The State preempted local control of permitting ADUs with changes to state law in 2017 which nullified Humboldt County’s second unit ordinance. More changes to state law in 2019 further relaxed the standards for the development of ADUs. The proposed new ADU ordinance attempts to clarify the County’s standards consistent with state law while incorporating public input as expressed in workshops and public meetings.
The new ordinance proposes all the following:
- Repeals Sections 314-87.1 and 313-87.1 regarding Secondary Dwelling Units; 2. Adds Sections 314-69.05 and 313-69.05 regarding Accessory Dwelling Units; 3. Amends Sections 314-22; 314-109; 314-136; 314-145; 314-148; 314-154; 314-155; 314-163; and 314- 177 of Chapter 4 of the zoning code; and Sections 313-107; 313-109; 313-110; 313-136; 313-137; 313-148; 313-154; 313-155; 313-163; and 313-177 of Chapter 3, Coastal Zoning Code; and amends parts of the Humboldt Bay Area Plan, North Coast Area Plan, Trinidad Area Plan, McKinleyville Area Plan, Eel River Plan, and South Coast Area Plan relating to Accessory Dwelling Units; 4. Amends parts of the General Plan text that reference “secondary dwelling units” to reflect instead
“accessory dwelling units”; 5. Changes Section 331.5 Modified Limited Density Owner-Builder Rural Dwelling Regulations (for Alternative Owner Builders, or AOB) to allow for ADUs accessory to AOB residences, and removes the requirement for owner occupancy in owner-built ADUs; and 6. Adopts part of Title 24 CCR, Appendix Q Tiny Houses as part of HCC Section 331-11 to address stairs, handrails, headroom, ladders, lofts, including guard and emergency escape and rescue openings in lofts of tiny houses built on foundations.
Photo Credit: Indigo River Tiny Homes
Movable Tiny Home Draft Ordinance :
Sharing A Portion Of The Draft Ordinance
A design standard for Moveable Tiny Houses was amended as follows:
The unit shall be plumbed to allow connection to an approved means of sewage disposal, septic system, or waterless toilet. Within Urban Service Areas (community service districts), all Moveable Tiny Houses shall be connected to public wastewater systems. Portable or enclosed waste storage tanks are not allowed for sewage disposal.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Planning Commission recommends that the Board of Supervisors of the County of Humboldt:
- Hold a public hearing in the manner prescribed by law.
- Adopt the ordinance amending the Zoning Regulations of the Inland Zoning Ordinance (Section 314 of Title III, Division 1, Chapter 4 of Humboldt County Code) as shown in Attachment 1 of this staff report and summarized as follows:
(a) Sets forth standards, in accordance with state law, for creation or conversion of Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) on lots zoned to allow single-family or multifamily use; and allows a Tiny House or Moveable Tiny House, as defined, to be used as an ADU.
- Adopt the ordinance amending the Zoning Regulations of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance (Section 313 of Title III, Division 1, Chapter 4 of Humboldt County Code) as shown in Attachment 2 of this staff report and summarized as follows:
(a) Sets forth standards for the Coastal Zone, in accordance with state law, for creation or conversion of Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) on lots zoned to allow single-family or multifamily use; and allows a Tiny House or Moveable Tiny House, as defined, to be used as an ADU.
Draft ADU Ordinance PC July 23, 2020 Page 7
- Adopt the associated General Plan and Coastal Plan Amendments as shown in Attachments 1 and 2 of this staff report.
- Adopt the ordinances amending Sections 331 and 331.5 of the Building Codes as set forth in Attachments 3 and 4 of this staff report.
- Direct Planning staff to submit the Coastal Zoning Ordinance and amendments to the Coastal Plans to the Coastal Commission for certification.
- Direct the Planning Staff to prepare and file a Notice of Exemption with the County Clerk and Office of Planning and Research.
Project Location: All of the unincorporated areas of Humboldt County, including the Coastal Zone.
Present Plan Designations: All land use categories where residential uses are allowed.
Present Zoning: All zoning districts where residential uses are allowed.
Environmental Review: The proposed ordinance amendments are exempt from environmental review under Section 15282 of the California Environmental Quality Act (Ordinances regarding second units).
HOW TO LISTEN OR WATCH THE PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING: 6 PM Tonight
Listen or Watch the live stream of the Planning Commission Meeting in two ways:
- You may access the live stream of the meeting by using the following link: https://zoom.us/j/95170231196 Password: 200525
- Call in via telephone at 346 248-7799, enter meeting id 951 7023 1196, Password: 200525
- Or while watching Access Humboldt
PUBLIC COMMENT INSTRUCTIONS DURING THE MEETING:
Participate in the public comment period of the meeting in the following two ways:
- Via Computer as an attendee: To raise your hand click the Raise Hand icon on the bottom of the Zoom window. When you click the Raise Hand icon, a hand icon will appear next to your name that will notify the host your hand is raised. You will also see the hand icon turn green. When you want to lower your hand, you can click the hand icon again and your hand will be lowered. When you are called upon to speak the Zoom platform will ask you for permission to unmute your mic.
If you encounter any issues, please use the call-in option below.
- Via phone call using cellphone or landline: When the Planning Commission begins, call into the conference line. When the Planning Commission starts to discuss the item you wish to comment on, Press *9 to raise your hand. When you are called upon to speak, you will be prompted to unmute your mic.
PUBLIC COMMENT PRIOR TO THE MEETING:
To submit a public comment to the Planning Commission please email Planningclerk@co.humboldt.ca.us and provide your name, the agenda item number(s) on which you wish to speak. If you do not have access to email, a voicemail may be left at 707 445-7541 and will follow the same procedure as email public comments. All public comments submitted after the agenda has been published will be included with the administrative record after the fact.
The County of Humboldt is committed to providing equal access to all county programs, services, and activities through the provision of accommodations for individuals with disabilities as required under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). With 72 hours prior notice, a request for reasonable accommodation or modification can be made. Please contact the Planning Commission Clerk at 707-445-7541 or by email email@example.com or the ADA Coordinator at 844-365-0352 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org